Tuesday, January 27, 2015

What's the Story?

Dickens wrote Great Expectations to let himself out in a way and portray his own character.  He wanted to convey the life struggles of making critical decisions on who you want to be and who you don't want to be. This novel is the most bibliographical to his story than any of his other books. He uses personification, simile, imagery and irony. 
"But he was down on the rank wet grass, filing at his iron like a madman, and I told him I must go, but he took no notice, so I thought the best thing I could do was to slip off." This simile shows his fleeting presence literally in different scenes, but also lifestyles and phases.  
"It was a dry cold night, and the wind blew keenly, and the frost was white and hard. A man would die tonight of lying out on the marshes, I thought." Foreshadowing?
"When the gate was closed upon me by Sarah of the walnut-shell countenance, I felt more than ever dissatisfied with my home and with my trade and with everything; and that was all I took by that motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment