Sunday, October 5, 2014

Character Study III

I walked into my first class, English 101, at Pepperdine University. I was wearing my favorite, most comfortable outfit: a white vneck and a pair of jeans that took me through my senior year in high school. The professor started the class at exactly9:00 sharp. One by one, Mr. Rushmore called a name and took the time to acknowledge each face. He'd gone through all twenty-nine students except me. I looked around puzzled and slowly raised my hand. He called on me and asked for my name. I replied and he directed me to head to the main office as I was not on the roster. I thought to myself what a way start to my first day. I left the class with my belongings and felt the stare of sixty eyeballs on me as a walked out. I pondered  to myself, what could have possibly gone wrong with my schedule. I'd repeatedly checked my student account and I clearly read: English 101 with Mr. Rushmore. The walk to the main office would be at least a ten minute walk. By the time I had arrived, I was catching my breath with all the stairs embedded in the campus. I explained my situation and the lady at the front desk calmly explained how I had been moved to an advanced English course. I had apparently received a perfect score on my English placement test and my guidance counselor had decided to move me up to a sophomore level class. In the moment, I was so confused and upset at the same time for placing me in a different class without my consent. It was almost impossible to see my counselor to make the fix so for the while being, I would be attending that class. Other changes also followed. I had to move to a different dormitory closer to my class located on the other side of campus. This infuriated me but at the same time, I guess I was happy to avoid my rude roommate. I went through the tedious process of packing again. On the contrary, I was kindly greeted by a handsome student who had come to help me move my belongings and direct me to my new room. He guided me across the campus to a new side of Pepperdine, the side facing the beach. I moved to a new dorm and was greeted by a new set of faces who warmly led me to my room. I arrived to a more spacious area, greeted by a tall girl with a big smile. It was definitely a new environment than what I was spending my first two weeks in; in a surprisingly better way. I was unpacking my bags when Hannah Hurd knocked on my door. She was on her way to UCSD and she came to visit me. I was pleased to see a familiar face and she gave me a warm hug. She asked, "What are you doing unpacking now? Didn't you arrive two weeks ago?" I replied, "Girl, don't even get me started." I explained the long story to her and we were able to catch up from the short time we were apart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment